Monday, June 1, 2009

What Do We Eat When Jeff is Gone?

When I got done preparing this week's menu, I looked at it and thought-"It's like Homemade Junk Food Week!" Jeff is out of town, so I am cooking all MY favorites. At first, I asked the kids what THEY wanted for dinner and they started coming up with things like Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken or (ACK!) Grilled Steak! Are you kidding me? My husband is gone, this is almost like a vacation. They are lucky they are not eating cereal and boxed mac and cheese all week. I will be cooking things that go together very easy. Casseroles, One Pot Meals and the like. YUM!! I can't wait.

On the Menu This Week:

Monday - Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole with Carrots and Cheddar Biscuits

Tuesday - Chicken Pockets and Fruit Salad

Wednesday - Homemade Personal Pizzas

Thursday - Chicken Tacos, Refried Beans and Corn

Friday - One Pan Basil and Tomato Angel Hair Pasta, Salad and Garlic Bread

Saturday - Roast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Green Beans and Rolls

Can you tell when Jeff is supposed to get home? I'll give you a hint-look for the first green veggie (salad does count as a veggie, right?) and the red meat!

This week I am going to give you my One Pot Basil and Tomato Angel Hair Pasta recipe. This pasta is an all-time favorite with my family. I cook everything in one large skillet-including the angel hair. It is one of my staple quick and easy recipes.

One Pot Basil and Tomato Angel Hair Pasta

1 pound dry angel hair pasta
3 cans diced tomatoes with onion, basil and oregano (not Italian Stewed Tomatoes)
5-10 cloves of garlic, pressed
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cups of grated Romano cheese, plus extra for topping
32 ounce box of chicken broth
Fresh basil, chopped (dried works fine, too-but use A LOT)

In a large skillet with sides and a lid, saute the garlic in olive oil just until you smell it. Add all three cans of tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN). Cook these until they start to get bubbly, stir in the Romano cheese. Add about 1/2 the box of chicken broth and bring to a boil, salt and pepper to taste. Add the dry pasta and spoon the tomato sauce over the noodles, add more broth to cover the noodles and keep it at a boil. Add fresh basil, cover the pot and let it cook until the pasta is cooked just enough to stir it into the sauce more. Keep cooking with the lid on, stirring occasionally (separate the pasta so it doesn't stick together) until the pasta is cooked how you like it. It takes about 15 minutes and the pasta will absorb quite a bit of the liquid, I keep adding more broth until the pasta is almost done. The sauce is not soupy like a spaghetti sauce-it's more chunky. Top with more Romano cheese and chopped basil.

This is one of those recipes that I totally eyeball. You can't really mess it up. Just keep tasting it and make sure the pasta gets cooked all the way and you will love it!

*The sauce itself is gluten free (check your tomatoes and broth)-just make sure that you get a pasta that is gluten free also.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'll have to give a try very soon!
    One question... What is all this "gluten free" about? Does one of your cuties have an allergy??? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of my immediate family is gluten intolerant, but I have some peeps from church that I love a bunch that are (Jennifer, Scott's wife is one). So, while I don't cook GF on purpose, there are some things that I cook that happen to be GF-so I try to make a note on the recipes that are. It's just been a fluke that these first few recipes have been GF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try your skillet pasta. I'm already messing with the recipe in my head. No basil... Needs meat... Pepperoni?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, try adding bacon or grilled chicken. What!? No basil?? That's crazy talk--ok, how about oregano or thyme?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed you don't like basil, Vicki. We are growing our own. I use it a lot.

    Dori, thanks so much for this recipe. It looks delicious and I am certain everyone will love it...tonight. I am going to add chicken. Yum. I really appreciate it when you post gf recipes, you adorable friend!

    The first time I used gf pasta, I hated it. It seemed too tough and rubbery. Then I realized I hadn't cooked it long enough. My family can't tell the difference (taste-wise, the higher cost can't be missed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how you liked it, Becky! I love it that some of my recipes just happen to be GF. However, I think the next recipe post I do will be my scones (SOOOO not GF). Either you or Sarah will have to fiddle around to make a GF version!

    ReplyDelete