Saturday, May 22, 2010

A New Family Favorite

If I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, I would be hard pressed to choose between Mexican and Italian (if you notice, both use LOTS of cheese, my favorite food group), but these Taquitos make me lean a little more strongly toward the Mexican side.  I rarely find a new recipe that my ENTIRE family goes ga-ga for, but let me tell you, the kids BEG me to make these multiple times a week.  They are so tasty, I'm tempted to agree.  Right now they are our weekly Tuesday night meal because Meghan, Taylor and Jeff can eat them on the way to 4-H.

My friend posted the original recipe from a blog that I have quickly fallen in love with.  Here it is from Our Best Bites.  Of course, if you know me, you know that because I am an incredibly picky eater, I can almost NEVER follow a recipe as written.  So I had to make a few changes to what I've been told was already a KILLER recipe.  I am not a fan of either lime or cilantro, so here is the recipe that I created based on the original recipe from Our Best Bites.  So, now you can choose--lime and cilantro or NO lime and cilantro.

Baked Chicken Taquitos

4 cups chicken-cooked and finely chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup salsa verde, pureed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic
3 cups co-jack, shredded
flour tortillas (soft taco size)


Combine all of the above ingredients.  Place about 2 TBSP of the mixture across one end of a slightly warmed tortilla.  Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Make sure the taquitos do not touch each other on the baking sheet, so they get nice and crispy.  Just before baking, lightly brush oil over the tops and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.  Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes.

I have not tried making these and freezing them before I bake then yet, we seem to eat all that we make each time, but they are supposed to freeze well.  The last time I made this recipe, I got 26 taquitos, but I over-filled them and lots of the filling oozed out onto the pan, so I could probably get 3 or 4 more.

According to my salsa verde bottle, the La Victoria brand is gluten free, so if you change the tortillas you use, this is also a gluten free recipe.






6 comments:

  1. I'll have to try those, they sound really good. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see you on here again. Love, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! They sure sound and look tasty! I'll have to get up the courage to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering! Cant wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried them last night and everybody loved them. That was with the cheese left out! I forgot it. I went back and added cheese to the 2nd batch and they were a hit! Thanks, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay-I am glad you liked them! I love the fact that they are baked and yet get so crispy!

    Jennifer and Angela, get on the ball and give them a try! They are so tasty, you will soon be addicted.

    YUM! Now I want them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! This is something really close to what I make, but I use sour cream and chedder cheese in the mix instead of cream cheese. I like your cream cheese idea better! We'll have to give these a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete